Editor, Writer, and Project Manager
Owner and Editor, Lucidity Editing LLC, Santa Fe, NM [April 2, 2013–present]
I am the sole proprietor of this business specializing in the developmental editing, or line editing, of nonfiction book manuscripts.
Editor in Chief, New Mexico Magazine, Santa Fe, NM [2007–11]
• Developed a management style incorporating the following core values: respect for collaborative problem solving, empathy for our readers and their interests, engagement in active dialogue, desire to communicate with clarity, love for learning, and passion for the creative process.
• Earned a reputation for high standards, fair deals, and positive collaborations in New Mexico’s creative community of writers, photographers, and illustrators.
• Won eight editorial and design awards, including two first-place Gold Awards, at the 2010 meeting of the International Regional Magazine Association—New Mexico Magazine’s most substantial array of wins in 13 years.
• Established an editing process maximizing clarity, factual accuracy, and efficiency of production. This also minimized our team’s stress levels and maximized positive group dynamics.
• Managed an editorial budget of $80,000 annually.
• Supervised Associate Editor Ashley Biggers in creating a look and feel for www.nmmagazine.com that was consistent with the print edition’s brand.
Marketing Writer, New Mexico Economic Development Department, Santa Fe, NM [2004–07]
Project manager and content creator for:
• www.offtheroadnm.com, encouraging travel to New Mexico MainStreet communities;
• www.spaceportamerica.com, designed to acquaint aerospace companies with New Mexico’s cutting-edge space-travel facility;
• www.edd.state.nm.us, the department website;
• other websites on specialized topics such as biotechnology, New Mexico border commerce, and relocating businesses to New Mexico.
Freelance Writer, Santa Fe, NM [2002–04]
• Wrote artist profiles for Southwest Art magazine.
• Wrote product section “Living West Essentials” for Living West magazine.
• Contributed to El Chivito, a lifestyle newsletter for members of the New Mexico legislature.
Senior Editor, Santa Fean magazine, Santa Fe, NM [2000–02]
• Helped lead the magazine to win three Clarion Awards in two years, among them 2001 Best Overall Magazine in the Circulation Under 100,000 category.
• Conceptualized and assigned stories to freelance writers.
• Coached freelance writers to produce their best work.
Editor, Christie’s Great Estates, Santa Fe, NM [1998–00]
• Upheld the authenticity standards of Christie’s, the world’s oldest fine-arts auction house, in the publications of its real-estate marketing subsidiary.
• Managed the traffic of more than 100 stories per issue of Christie’s Great Estates Magazine.
• Supervised a team of three freelance writers.
Editorial Assistant, Stereophile magazine, Santa Fe, NM [1996–98]
• Liaised between freelance writers and magazine’s editors.
• Fact-checked listings for twice-yearly “Recommended Components” buyer’s guide.
• Responded to reader inquiries.
• Coordinated Stereophile Writers’ Conference.
Publications Assistant, Northwest Missouri State University, Maryville, MO [1992–96]
• Marketed the university to prospective students via brochures and booklets.
• Wrote stories for quarterly alumni news magazine.
• Publicized university events by designing posters and other promotions.
• Served as an advisor for Heartland View magazine, a student publication run by the university’s Mass Communications Department.
University of Missouri School of Journalism, B.J. 1992: Specialization: magazine journalism
Catalytic Coaching & Consulting, Santa Fe, NM
Ongoing. Under the guidance of life coach Carrie Ishee, I devote roughly four hours per month to developing my ability to cultivate the cohesive teams that form dynamic organizations.
International Regional Magazine Association (IRMA) Conference
Attended 2007–2010 conferences for IRMA’s approximately 40 member magazines from the U.S. and Canada. In 2009, New Mexico Magazine hosted the conference in Santa Fe. Elected to IRMA Board, September 2010.
National Main Streets Conference, Seattle, WA
Presented “Go Off the Road: Marketing Your Main Street as a Tourist Destination,” March 2007, about the website www.offtheroadnm.com, which I developed to publicize New Mexico’s MainStreet communities and which went viral thanks to coverage by the Associated Press that landed us on sites such as MSN.com and CNN.com.
South By Southwest Interactive, Austin, TX
Attended 2006 and 2007 conferences in Austin, Texas—five days of presentations by and panel discussions among the brightest minds in emerging technologies.
Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
Completed Stanford Publishing Course, July 2003. Now known as the Yale Publishing Course, this is an acclaimed intensive for mid- and upper-level leaders in magazine publishing. Presenters were editors from such titles as Cosmopolitan (Helen Gurley Brown), People (Richard Stolley), Newsweek (Dorothy Kalins), and Texas Monthly (Gregory Curtis).